"DANUBE DELTA" NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
"DANUBE DELTA" NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
The Danube Delta National Institute for Research and Development (DDNI) was established in 1970 and its main objective is conducting fundamental and applied research for scientific support of the management of the Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve (DDBR) and other wetland areas of national and international interest, with particular focus on biodiversity conservation and sustainable use.
Due to its expertise and contribution to the local, regional and national research and development programmes, DDNI has been nominated as:
- Centre of Excellence for Deltas & Wetlands;
- National Reference Centre for Land Cover and Fisheries;
- Main Scientific Advisor of the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development for the implementation of the NATURA 2000 Network in Romania;
- Centre of Technological Information for the Danube Delta of the National Authority for Scientific Research.
The relevance of DDNI’s research activities for local, regional, national and international environmental issues is sustained by the Danube Delta’s protection status and the international Conventions and Programmes adopted by Romania.
Scientific research is one of the most important components of these conventions, having been defined as one of the main functions of Biosphere Reserves by the MAB-UNESCO program. The research activities of the Danube Delta National Institute are oriented towards achieving the management objectives of the largest protected area in Romania and Europe:
- assessment of the ecological status of natural heritage and the elaboration of biodiversity conservation measures;
- monitoring of the DDBR biodiversity and environmental factors;
- assessment of natural resources and the exploitation levels in accordance with the regeneration potential and carrying capacity of the ecosystems;
- elaboration of hydrological scenarios in support of ecological restoration measures for improvement of the water circulation regime on the existing channels network;
- measures for the recovery of endangered species populations – fish, birds, reptiles, mammals;
- elaboration of technical solutions for the restoration of abandoned agricultural polders and fish ponds in order to increase the area of natural habitats of fish and bird species;
- modeling the basic processes of aquatic ecosystems;
- supporting studies for the harmonization of socio-economic interests with the concept of conservation of natural capital;
- developing a Geographic Information System for the Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve.
At the European level, DDNI participates as partner in the consortia of projects financed under the EC Framework Programmes (FP 4 – 1 project, FP 5 – 3 projects, FP 6 – 6 projects) as well as in projects financed through other programmes and funds (PHARE, SOCRATES Programme, COST, LIFE).
The main users of DDNI’s research results are:
- The Ministry of Environment;
- ‘Romanian Waters’ National Administration;
- National Agency for Environmental Protection;
- National Agency for Fishing and Aquaculture;
- Danube Delta Biosphere Reserve Authority;
- European Community;
The institute carries out basic and applied research to scientifically support the management in the DDBR and other wetlands of national and international importance for the biodiversity conservation and sustainable development, in the following domains of activity:
- structure, evolution and function of the specific wetland ecosystems;
- monitoring of the biological diversity and environmental factors;
- modelling the processes that are the basis of ecosystem functioning;
- sustainable use of the biological natural resources (fish, vegetation, game and landscape);
- assessment and reduction of the human impact;
- restoration and rehabilitation of the ecosystems that have been injured by the negative human activity;
- ecological restoration;
- ecological rehabilitaton of some threatened species;
- making the social-economic interests agree with the biodiversity conservation goal;
- development of the Geographical Information System (GIS) and use of the teledetection techniques;
- strategies for biodiversity conservation and sustainable use of the natural resources;
- management plans for administrating wetlands and aquatic resources;
- issuing thematic maps, atlases and monographs;
- scientific substantiation of the normative acts projects that regulate the environmental protection;
- researches and studies for implementing the international conventions Romania has adhered to on environmental issues;
- consultancy for harmonizing the Romania’s legislation with the E.U. policy in the environmental area.
- support studies for the elaboration of the restoration solutions for ecological reconstruction and the improvement of the environmental conditions;
- impact and environmental balance studies;
- international research projects for wetlands of conservative interest in flora and fauna;
- applied research to adaptat the production technologies used in the agriculture, pisciculture and forest polders areas to the environmental protection requirements;
- scientific assistance, specialized survey and consulting services;
- organization of scientific manifestations (sessions, symposiums, congresses, etc) with national and international character.
- studies and projects for the accomplishment of the ecological restoration works and the improvement of the environmental conditions;
- feasibility studies, technical projects and execution details for fish and agriculture ponds, hydrotechnical constructions, public, industrial and agrozootechnical buildings;
- studies and projects for water supply and sewerage systems, thermic, refrigerating, ventilation- acclimatization and natural gases installations for all kinds of users;
- technical assistance for designing and executing investments objectives;
- cadastral survey, geodesy and cartography works;
- topographical, geotechnical, soil and hydrological studies for substantiating the investment projects;
- feasibility studies, assets evaluations, documentations for participation to auctions of design and execution projects;
- survey concerning the state of buildings and their equipments and afferent installations.
TECHNOLOGICAL INFORMATION CENTER
Danube Delta National Institute for Research and Development
Babadag Street, nr. 165, PO 820112, Tulcea City, Romania