End date: 31-05-2021
Budget in Euro
ERDF Contribution: 2045645,09
IPA Contribution: 90346,27
ENI Contribution: 0
Environment and culture responsible Danube region
Foster the restoration and management of ecological corridors
Adresa Website: http://www.interreg-danube.eu/approved-projects/measures
Managing and restoring aquatic EcologicAl corridors for migratory fiSh species in the danUbe RivEr baSin (MEASURES)
Sturgeons and other migratory fish species represent a historic, economic and natural heritage of the Danube River Basin and are indicators of the ecological status of aquatic ecosystems, especially of the functionality of ecological corridors. Their populations have suffered substantially from overfishing, pollution, habitat destruction and disruption of their migration routes. The need for their conservation is recognized at a high political and management level (EUSDR-PA 06, Biodiversity, DRBMP).
Habitat fragmentation, as well as the lack of comprehensive knowledge on available habitats for migratory fish and on genetic diversity impede the restoration of migration corridors, vital to secure migratory fish on the long run. Concerted transnational management of these corridors and actions for their restoration as well as supportive conservation stocking of native species is highly needed.
MEASURES will pave the way for the establishment of ecological corridors through identifying key habitats and initiating protective measures along the Danube and its main tributaries. A methodology for migratory fish habitat mapping will be developed and tested. A harmonized strategy (including prioritization) for the restoration of ecological corridors will be developed and will support implementation in future management plans. Two pilot actions are envisaged: (1) identify and map key habitats, (2) restocking of two native species to conserve their genetic pool. A network for concerted restocking of targeted species will be established, as well as a manual for the operation of broodstock facilities. A MEASURES Information System will be created to facilitate access to information for experts, decision makers and the general public.
Activities which will be implemented by The Danube Delta National Institute for Research and Development (DDNI):
- Training on migratory fish habitat and behavior assessment;
- Identifying and mapping of migratory fish habitats on Borcea and Bala branches and in the lower reaches of Siret, Jiu, and Mures Rivers (RO);
- Identifying and mapping of migratory fish habitats in the Lower Danube River upstream Danube km 600 (BG);
- Identifying and mapping of migratory fish habitats in the Lower Danube River and Middle Danube River (SRB)
- Identifying and mapping of migratory fish habitats in the Middle Sava, Lower Drava and Middle Mura rivers (HR + SLO);
- Identifying and mapping of migratory fish habitats in the Middle Danube River MDR, Vah and Little Danube (SK).
- Preparing draft and final versions of migratory fish habitat assessment manual.
Danube Delta National Institute for Research and Development
Babadag Street, nr. 165, PO 820112, Tulcea City, Romania
Access your data within the intranet